Sunday, September 11, 2011

Do games engines like Unity with paid extensions stunt the educational growth of would-be programmers?

Do games engines like Unity with paid extensions stunt the educational growth of would-be programmers?: I have been designing my game, working on the art assets, and learning programming for the last year (or has it been two years? So much work in a video game...haha...) but honestly it's mainly been a hard focus on creating graphics and very very little in learning to code. Over 6 months ago decided on Unity. While creating the purely 2D art assets (which are almost completely finished and ready to be in the game, which I've been told takes the majority of development time in video game creation), I've dabbled to learn in Unity3D, created a simple 2D game, and although my major project is ambitious, I am still only working to release smaller games first. Specifically, I want to see if my designs and graphics sell well in the mobile market, as if they were successful enough I could use the money to fund a more talented artist to transform my design from a 2D world into a 3D one, and perhaps eventually even use something like the Hero Engine if it became that successful to warrant a lot of multiplayer users.